Saturday, February 28, 2009

Roses by the Sea TReasury w Original Poem by Rita Clancy



Here is Rita's treasury from last night. I am more interested in the poem than the treasury. It always amazes me that young people can come up with such amazing things. I want to encourage poetry with children because it is clearly a way to express themselves that sometimes they don't even know what is inside them.

I taught a poetry workshop in the school for 5 years. Quite simple ideas in fact. Each week was different. We did an illustration based on an idea and wrote a poem to go with it. After 7 weeks the children had 7 illustrated poems and we made cloth covered cardboard, punched holes in them and bound them with bias tape.

This was such a successful workshop they adopted it into many versions and teach it in the schools to this day. I was always amazed at what these small children reflected on and spoke to in the poetry. Poetry isn't just something that is old fashioned.. it never goes out of style.

Write a small poem today and send it to me and I will publish it next Monday. Lets see what we can come up with. Let me know if you want your name attached or not.. its up to you. I will find a nice illustration or photo to go with it..
Have a wonderful Saturday!!!-

Click the image of treasury to see it larger so you can read the poem.. and please...

click the title to go to Rita's treasury and leave a comment... click the images too... she would love it if you did.

2 comments:

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

how wonderful is the this!!!!! I just love it. I totally, totally agree with you that children and poetry go hand in hand. There is so much in them and yes it can come out through a poem. This is awesome. This was so beautiful and what a treat. You had me cracking up over the hair thing. It's just too funny cause you are right. We always want something that we don't have. I am completely bald. No hair except for the five o'clock shadow that grows every couple of weeks. I lost all my hair many years ago. My daughter Zoe has a head full of hair. Long beautiful loc to her shoulders and we are going to keep it that way he he he! Thanks so your wonderful words my friend. I look forward to hearing me from you and I just want to let you know that I'm already a fan!!!! Have a great weekend my friend.

Roy E said...

Nicce share

About Me

My photo
I am a mother of 2 wonderful girls, grandmother of 4, don't worry you will see photos of them one day! I live in Sedona Arizona, a beautiful place, lots of sun and blue blue skies! I listen to politics and my favorite radio channel is Cinemix. I am the oldest of 11 , I love my kids, my parents and my siblings and my friends!!

Followers