Monday, April 20, 2009
St. Mary Magdalene-Suffering after Crucifixion-Painted Mixed Media by Rita Clancy
I wasn't sure how to react when I first saw this mixed media piece that Rita did. I told her she would have lots of people thinking she was taking a person from the bible and making it look bad and people might get all upset about it and I was concerned for her posting it.
Then she said,"Mom are you familiar with this painting? That woman was making a face that looked like a bear in a trap and in terrible pain." I told her the story of how she was close friends with Jesus and her heart was broken when he was crucified. Oh that is probably why she looked like she was in horrible pain."
Then I realized that its so important for us to not be judgemental with art. Its easy to do, to be opinionated and say this and that, but really when it gets right down to it, what do we really know behind the art that might connect to the artists feelings or impressions of things to be able to truly "know" why they did what they did or painted this or that.
I believe that art is, as many would say," life" and vice versa. That is where the fun can begin, what did the artist say about life or his life in the artwork, not how it looked or if the design or color was off.
In think in Rita's case the anguish in Mary Magdalene's face frightened her and she painted over it to symbolize a pain that felt like an animal in a trap. Pretty cool. So I share with you.
- I am a mother of 2 wonderful girls, grandmother of 4, don't worry you will see photos of them one day! I live in Sedona Arizona, a beautiful place, lots of sun and blue blue skies! I listen to politics and my favorite radio channel is Cinemix. I am the oldest of 11 , I love my kids, my parents and my siblings and my friends!!
- Sarah Painted CDV Mixed Media-PAinted on The Watch...
- Cry Baby -Me
- BAck to our century plant in the desert
- Marchesa Casati by Man Ray
- Encaustic Crayon Art by Christian Faur
- Garden Girl Silhouette Wall ARt -Or how I stopped ...
- St. Mary Magdalene-Suffering after Crucifixion-Pai...
- First Communion Native American Girls New Mexico G...
- Cat lady~Surreal Surrender a tintype w a Twist!
- last night a Century plant blossomed
- Fairies Dance -a Tinted Vintage photo
- Ruth Benedict Poet Antropologist-One thing leads t...
- A Newsie Girl from Australia Glass Negative
- Hibiscus Painted Photo on Canvas-My Trip to Hilo-T...
- Pink Roses Painted Photo -For the people of ITaly
- French Window Shopping-Collage
- Queen of FLowers-Royal Queen-IS Anybody out there?...
- Lilacs in bloom taking the teacher some flowers fr...
- Our Simple Beginings-Where I was born
- Earl Bailey ~Lou HOyt~Ya Gotta have Heart!
- ▼ April (20)