Friday, April 24, 2009
Marchesa Casati by Man Ray
This image one of many by famed photographer/dadist and innovator Man Ray.
Man Ray, born Emmanuel Radnitzky (August 27, 1890 – November 18, 1976), was an American artist who spent most of his career in Paris, France. Perhaps best described simply as a modernist, he was a significant contributor to both the Dada and Surrealist movements, although his ties to each were informal. Best known in the art world for his avant-garde photography, Man Ray produced major works in a variety of media and considered himself a painter above all. He was also a renowned fashion and portrait photographer. He is noted for his photograms, which he renamed rayographs after himself.
About the photo..
In the decadent 1920’s it was the notoriously naughty Marchesa Luisa Casati (1881-1957), daughter of a wealthy cotton manufacturer, who reigned as the disreputable diva of her day. Everywhere she went, she set trends, inspired genius and astounded even the most jaded members of the international aristocracy.
Renowned as the most scandalous woman of her generation, the Marchesa was Europe’s most cosseted celebrity, and its most eccentric. For the first three decades of the twentieth century she traveled to Venice, Rome, Capri and Paris collecting palaces and a menagerie of exotic animals, all the while declaring:
“I want to be a living work of art.”
I am inspired by both artist and subject here for their breakaway spirit and creative genius. I won't tell you Marchesa's sad tale except she was seen digging through a trash heap at the end of her life looking for a feather to put in her hair....concerned about her looks until the end.. a true fashion queen!
- I am a mother of 2 wonderful girls, grandmother of 4, don't worry you will see photos of them one day! I live in Sedona Arizona, a beautiful place, lots of sun and blue blue skies! I listen to politics and my favorite radio channel is Cinemix. I am the oldest of 11 , I love my kids, my parents and my siblings and my friends!!
- Sarah Painted CDV Mixed Media-PAinted on The Watch...
- Cry Baby -Me
- BAck to our century plant in the desert
- Marchesa Casati by Man Ray
- Encaustic Crayon Art by Christian Faur
- Garden Girl Silhouette Wall ARt -Or how I stopped ...
- St. Mary Magdalene-Suffering after Crucifixion-Pai...
- First Communion Native American Girls New Mexico G...
- Cat lady~Surreal Surrender a tintype w a Twist!
- last night a Century plant blossomed
- Fairies Dance -a Tinted Vintage photo
- Ruth Benedict Poet Antropologist-One thing leads t...
- A Newsie Girl from Australia Glass Negative
- Hibiscus Painted Photo on Canvas-My Trip to Hilo-T...
- Pink Roses Painted Photo -For the people of ITaly
- French Window Shopping-Collage
- Queen of FLowers-Royal Queen-IS Anybody out there?...
- Lilacs in bloom taking the teacher some flowers fr...
- Our Simple Beginings-Where I was born
- Earl Bailey ~Lou HOyt~Ya Gotta have Heart!
- ▼ April (20)