Wednesday, October 29, 2008
White and Red Pomegranates-Encaustic Beeswax Painting
This is an encaustic painting that is 8.5X11 and was done with a plate of fresh pomegranates sitting in front of me. I taught myself how to paint encaustic after a visit down to San Jose Del Cabo one year to see my daughter and grandkids. Next to my daughter's restaurant Fandango was a wonderful little art gallery that carried just the latest and greatest artwork fresh from Los Angeles and one of the artists she carried was an encaustic painter that did realism. Most artist do not do realistic encaustic as it is very time consuming but I knew what I wanted to create the minute I smelled that wonderful melting beeswax for the first time and it was not abstract art... that is not to say that I don't love abstract for what it is but for me it's always been about realism and the photographic medium and most my art except for my illustration has stayed along those lines.. This was particularly difficult because the red kept melting into the lighter tones.. but I faced the challenge and eventually figured a way around it.
I love to drink and eat the pomegranate but beware of the deadly stain it leaves. I bet women of old used the juice of pom to tint their lips and cheeks... maybe.
I think this time of year is when the pomegranates start to hit the stores and we can decorate and eat them and admire them for their beauty as well... this red fruit is a many splendid thing!!
- I am a mother of 2 wonderful girls, grandmother of 4, don't worry you will see photos of them one day! I live in Sedona Arizona, a beautiful place, lots of sun and blue blue skies! I listen to politics and my favorite radio channel is Cinemix. I am the oldest of 11 , I love my kids, my parents and my siblings and my friends!!
- ► 2009 (158)
- bird's eye view
- Trick or Treat Black Cat Ttv photograph by James S...
- White and Red Pomegranates-Encaustic Beeswax Paint...
- Halloween Black Cat Fake Cupcakes Faux Food Decora...
- front page early this morning!!
- Specimen 8. Dragonfly/Octopus on the Ingoldsby Leg...
- Circus Girl by Maria PAce Wynters
- HARLEQUIN HOLIDAYS-Sasha doll and outfit
- Zukzuk Odd Bods
- Tristan Little Artist
- White horse girl on gold original painting
- Cinder and Smoke
- Under The Greenwood Tree by Jo at Green Island Stu...
- L'Oiseau The Bluebird Shop in France
- L'Oiseau The Bluebird imagined
- Dad's Flower Painting
- The Weight of Time Sunflower Polaroid Transfer by ...
- on the farm with cat and trike
- Sie Hassan Ben ALi & His Acrobatic Troupe 1912
- if you are interested in circus history click on t...
- Tiger Lily
- The Letter "C"
- The Hat Family
- BlueMoonRose Upcycled Sweaters and HAts Dogs too!
- Wow the color and CHARM in this necklace is just s...
- Check out organic cotton peace tote on Sheila Cla...
- Here we have a little mama dog resting after maybe...
- New Treasury West Paris Anytime
- welcome to my new clancy's classics blog
- ▼ October (30)