Tuesday, June 23, 2009
the News Boys en Francé-death of the newspaper
this image from one of my very favorite glass negatives, news boys in France holding up what looks like a political paper from maybe the 1920s. I did a treasury today about the death of the newspaper. I have a degree in journalism and my first job out of my graduate studies was at The Good Times newspaper in Santa Cruz, actually that was my second job. First was working for the Menlo Advisor. That was such a nightmare job, I was hired as manager over people who had been there 5 years or more and I was supposed to squeeze more work out of them for the lousy $5-7 an hour they were getting. I cut the tip of my finger one sat and had to be driven to the hospital by a co worker who only said"don't get blood in my car". I was fired after I had a meeting with the owners asking them for a 25¢ raise for one gal and to have a non smoking lunch room. They thought I was an upstart and I was but everyone loved me after my one summer there. The good times had lots of nice people working there and I met one of my best friends ever, Robin, who like myself, worked in the art dept and who was from the midwest and her father a life long artist.
There was no lack of nice people and also rotten power-hungry people as well. There was a 7.0 earthquake one day and trapped inside it for a time we all left and never entered the building again. The building was demolished.
After a short time at the new building I quit. Newspaper business is not the most fun and usually it is about the bottom line or how much you can save. Rupert Murdock bought us out and then I left.
I still think of those boys shouting "read all about it" whenever there was big news like war or stock market crash or titanic or baseball news.. those little boys who were big voices on the street corners, hawking the paper to all the business folks and everyday folks who like to be in the know.
My mom still reads her little Port Angeles newspaper each day and does the crossword puzzle. What is going to happen to our country without the newspaper. I don't know really but it won't be the same.
Link to the Newspaper treasury I did.
- I am a mother of 2 wonderful girls, grandmother of 4, don't worry you will see photos of them one day! I live in Sedona Arizona, a beautiful place, lots of sun and blue blue skies! I listen to politics and my favorite radio channel is Cinemix. I am the oldest of 11 , I love my kids, my parents and my siblings and my friends!!
- Ethel Smith~The double crosser~watercolor
- PAletas~ and the Front page! Etsy!!
- An outing worth noting!
- show and tell~my first prize of summer oh gladiola...
- the News Boys en Francé-death of the newspaper
- Happy Fathers Day DAd!!!~you mean alot to me!
- Ruth Wall Summer 1915
- A Blue SKy Desert Day in Sedona
- Pink Lincoln ~Desert Hotel~ Trip to Flagstaff Ariz...
- Chameleon~Scientific Illustration
- Colourshoppevintage~Introducing a New Etsy Shop!
- Little Ellen Graduates High School-my oldest grand...
- Tennis ~ History of Tennis ~French Open
- Peony oh peony!~my tribute and informational post
- Alan Aldridge~psychedlic art from 70s
- ▼ June (16)